Why Manage Diabetes?
Diabetes is a serious disease in developing countries like India but with correct counseling, one can learn to manage Diabetes. People with diabetes have to make food choices that are healthy, remain at an optimum and healthy weight, move themselves physically every day, do yoga and also take their medicines even when they are feeling fine.That may seem like a lot of work but a good nutritionist and dietician will help make your recovery period more worthwhile and joyful. While Type 2 Diabetes is more common in adults, an increase in prevalence of Type 2 Diabetes in children is also being observed due to increasing obesity amongst children. Though Type 1 Diabetes typically occurs in people below 25 yrs of age, it can also develop at any age.
Why Manage Diabetes?
Taking care of yourself and your diabetes can put you on the road to good health and happiness. When your blood sugar (glucose) is close to normal, you are likely to:
- feel more energetic
- be less tired and thirsty
- need to urinate less frequently
- heal better
- have fewer skin or bladder infections
Managing Diabetes will also mean fewer grave health problems such as:
- heart attack or stroke
- eye problems that can lead to poor eyesight or blindness
- pain, tingling, or numbness in hands and feet, also called nerve damage
- kidney problems that can cause your kidneys to stop functioning
- teeth and gum problems
The goals of a good nutritionist and dietician is to provide you with:
- relief from Diabetic Symptoms and improve your quality of life
- prevention of serious complications
- prevention of microvascular complications such as retinopathy, neuropathy and nephropathy
- prevention of macrovascular complications such as cardiovascular, cerebro-vascular and peripheral vascular disease.
- prevention of infections
They will help you to:
- Make a diabetes meal plan
- Choose foods that are lower in calories, saturated fat, trans fat, sugar, and salt.
- Eat foods with more fiberChoose healthier solid and liquid foods